Last weekend we launched our internal enterprise social network … my profile page is below (still a bit empty as I haven’t had a chance to play with it yet).
So what’s on offer on this page?:
- top left is the normal friends functionality … only we call them contacts because it would never do to have friends at work😉 … this also displays a newsfeed of your contacts’ current activities or status (you can edit your status at the top of the page)
- below that is My personal FAQ which is a place that you, or others, can pose questions that you would like answers for … searchable, of course
- top right is social bookmarking … although mine is currently empty
- below that is a newsfeed of activity on my profile page
- out of sight below the fold is wall or message board functionality.
All good stuff – but what I REALLY like are the two sections (also just below the fold in the central column) called skills and interests. When you type in a new skill or interest, if someone else has already typed in that skill or interest, you are offered that option in a drop down menu. If you select that interest from the drop-down, the system connects you to the other person with the same skill and creates a group page on which you can collaborate … lush! … as my 7yr old son says.
We’re looking at integrating Twitter and blog posts etc. to ensure the page fully reflects all your social activity. It’s very exciting and I can’t wait to have a play!🙂