As intranet managers, from time-to-time we all do it, despite bearing the scars from the last time. We decide to re-launch our intranet homepage. A triumph of optimism over experience. We know we’ll get hate mail from users the day it launches no matter how good it actually is … but we just can’t help ourselves. And so it is now in BT. We’re full speed ahead on developing a new intranet homepage site which will be launched before Christmas.
I won’t bore you with all the gruesome detail, but when the idea was first conceived, it made me think about what needs to be different this time around from what we’ve previously offered up to BT employees. How does the homepage need to be different to support the BT Digital Workplace rather than the BT Intranet?
Knowing that no one reads blog posts anymore unless they are lists of no more than 10 items and include a big image … I offer you my illustrated-10-differences-between-an-intranet-and-digital-workplace-homepage-listicle-blog-post.
- My digital workplace homepage needs to be ‘useful to me’ rather than ‘good for me’ – by which I mean I get to decide much of what goes on the page rather than the company feeding me the stuff it thinks is good for me.
- The content on my new page needs to be dynamic, driven by my needs.
- We all need a bit of corporate news to feed our souls but, more importantly, we need information from our networks to feed our brains.
- For this site to work, the content can’t be dominated by one person – I need lots of information from lots of sources.
- I love reading, but I get paid to do stuff.
- The person charged with managing my new homepage should spend their time hunting out useful sources of information and offering them to me as feeds to which I can subscribe if I so choose.
- I choose … that is all!
- More people access the internet via smartphone than fixed line … the digital workplace will be no different.
- The digital workplace is an ever-changing and flexible ecosystem – my front door into it needs to be too.
- Sticking content in little boxes piled on top of one other so I can see them all at once creates a horrible mess and gives me a headache. Layer the content and let me choose the top content card at any given time.
Thanks for reading … now get back to work!🙂